When your customers search for your product, do you know why they purchase yours versus a competitor's?
In that three-second window while browsing search results, what ensures they pick your insulated water bottle over other options?
This Three-Second Rule represents the difference between making sales and getting pushed further down in the search results. Knowing the factors behind a customer’s purchase decision is the key to creating products they can't resist.
In this article, we'll show you the five keys to winning in Amazon Search so you can climb higher in the results, make more sales, and get more reviews.
Key #1: Scroll-Stopping Product Images
First things first, your product images need to be top-notch. They're the attention-grabbers that get customers looking at your product first.
Start with a stark white background. Your image should occupy at least 85% of that space, but no more! The remaining 15% should be empty, particularly around the edges. Any bleed over into the photo borders could get you flagged by Amazon.
Make sure these images illustrate clearly how your product solves your customer’s need. Is it an umbrella? Show it’s lightweight, can fit in a purse, and dries quickly.
Help your customer quickly recognize that this product not only solves their problem, but solves it better than any other product in their search feed.
But don't stop there! Add some pizzazz by showcasing your product from different angles or with cool props. Include a few lifestyle shots to demonstrate its use and stimulate your customers' imagination.
Key #2: Solid Reviews and Ratings
Okay, here's the scoop: your customers love reviews and ratings. They rely on them to determine whether your product is worth their time and hard-earned cash.
So, aim for at least a 4.3-star rating. It looks like 4.5 in search, and this is the sweet spot where trust starts to kick in. We notice a consistent uptick in sales when a partner hits this magic number with their products. A jump from 4 to 4.5 stars on Amazon often means a 20% jump in sales on average.
But hey, perfection isn't always the answer. A perfect 5-star rating can raise a few eyebrows. Unless your product is an iPhone or Nintendo Switch, people might suspect something fishy.
Higher-priced items often face more scrutiny, especially when it comes to reviews. Oh, and if you're selling health-conscious goodies, you better believe customers will pay extra attention to what others say.
Remember: Negative reviews are lousy, but zero reviews is even worse. So, aim for around 30 reviews and ratings to build trust and credibility.
For more ideas to help you increase your reviews on Amazon, check out this article. >>
Helpful Tip: If you have a product with many variants, such as an assortment of t-shirt colors and sizes, combining its product pages will aggregate your reviews and ratings.
The product page will list the average star rating and combine all the reviews into one, including on Amazon search. Product variates are a great way to bolster lower-tier products in the search rankings.
Key #3: A Clear-As-Day Product Title Featuring Your Most Relevant Keywords
While your product image may catch their eye, your title seals the deal. When your customers glance at it, they should instantly know what your product is and its benefits.
Use the exact keywords that describe your product—no filler. Choose words that clearly describe your product using your customers’ language, such as its capacity, size, color, and key features.
These key features might be eco-friendly, BPA-free, certified silver, etc. Do thorough product research and feature the most relevant attributes in your product title.
Key #4: Win the Pricing Game
Sometimes, it’s not about having the lowest price. It’s about being the best deal. A $36 product discounted to $24 looks better than a $24 product with no discounts.
Now, the price tag must be the MSRP, but even a one-dollar discount can make your product more appealing. Every customer likes a deal, and if there’s a possibility they could pay more tomorrow than if they purchase today, chances are they won’t wait.
Key #5: Pump Up the Keywords
You can't win the Three-Second Rule if your buyers can't find you! To maximize your chances of appearing higher in the search results, conduct keyword research and create a keyword-rich description for your product.
But be careful! Amazon doesn't appreciate spammy content. Your product description should remain informative while clearly explaining each included feature. Repeating keywords excessively is a quick way to get flagged, rather than move up in the search rankings.
These aren’t the only steps you can use to optimize your product in Amazon search and succeed with the Three-Second Rule... but they can make a big difference.
If you need more help making it to the top of Amazon Search, this is something we help our brand partners do every day.
How would you like six extra staff growing your brand on Amazon free of charge?